BANSW are pleased to announce that our adjudicators for this year will be Mr Matt Klohs (Open and Junior Concert Bands) and Mr Mark Ford (Brass Bands, Non-Championship and Under 13 Primary Schools). Both adjudicators are well known in the banding community throughout Australia and beyond and bring with them much experience in adjudicating and providing valuable critique to bands. We look forward to working with them both this year.
Audience Admission fees
Day Pass $15
Concession Day Pass $10
2 Day Pass $25
2 Day Pass Concession $15
Admission for Band members as Audience is free providing Band Members are in their full Band uniform.
Tickets are only available for purchase on the day and are general admission only. Paypal facilities are available for those not paying with cash. Tickets are not available from The Joan Box Office but will be sold in the foyer located at the front of the venue. Please follow the ticket signs.
State Band Championships 2017 – 26th and 27th August
Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre – Penrith NSW
We are pleased to announce that the Penrith City Council has come on board with us as a Sponsor for this year. If you are visiting Penrith during the competition weekend check out the local accommodation, attractions and restaurants on www.visitpenrith.com.au.
The timetable of events has now been published. Permit forms are located under the Resources link within ‘Rules and Forms’. Permits should be submitted no later than 14 days prior to the contest.
- Individual start times for each band are not published. To assist, we have listed a ‘not commence prior to’ time for the afternoon session. If we are running early from the morning session, we will not recommence with the afternoon session until this appointed time. If in doubt of where the contest is up to, you can always log into Brassbanned to check out the live streaming!
- Draw numbers will be emailed to each band.
- Please allow plenty of travel time as we know that Penrith can get quite traffic congested at times over the weekend. Parking suggestions have been advised in the information letter which is still accessible as a link on this page.
- Declaration Sheet – all bands are required to complete one and these will be distributed to bands approximately 3 weeks prior to the contest.
- Perpetual trophies: If your band is still holding on to a trophy from last year, please make arrangements to return this trophy now. Please contact the Secretary.
- Instrument storage areas will be designated for each band. If performing in the Q Theatre, the instrument storage area will be on the first level. For the Concert Hall, it will be in the front foyer. Please follow all signs.
- If your band would like to opt out of the live-streaming or wish to have audio only, you are required to let us know at least a week prior to the contest so that we can communicate this with Tim @ Brassbanned. If we don’t hear from you then we assume that permission has been granted for the band to be included in the live stream. Bands are only identified by name only not individual players.
Looking to Volunteer? – We require quite a lot of volunteers to run the State Band Championships and we would love to see you. If you can help, if only for a few hours, please provide us with your details and preferences by entering them here and we will be in contact with you to confirm your role approx 2-3 weeks prior to the Contest.
Open Champion of Champions events: The accompanist for the evening will be Ingrid Sakurovs. To arrange a rehearsal, Ingrid can be reached on 0414 940 973. All competitors should be aware that a rehearsal fee will apply and you should confirm this rate with Ingrid.
The draw for playing order will be announced on stage in the Richard Bonynge Concert Hall as close to 5.30pm as possible.
All competitors should advise the Secretary if they are competing and if a winner of two individual events within Brass or within Concert each, the competitor can only play once on their choice of instrument out of the events that they won.
A copy of the piece being played should be made available for the adjudicator with bars numbered.