2020 NSW State Band Festival Online
For more information on the Party Events please go to 2020 NSW State Band Festival Party Events
For more information on the Champion of Champions please go to 2020 NSW State Band Festival Champion of Champions
Events offered in all grades for Open and Junior Brass and Concert are as follows:
- Sacred Item (time limit 6 mins)
- On Stage March (as per the NBCA Approved March List)
- Own Choice Concert Item (time limit 6 Mins)
- Single Own Choice Major Work (time limits as per existing to apply)
Each event in each grade will be considered as a “Stand Alone” event.
Every band doesn’t need to enter all events. e.g. a band can enter just one or two events depending on what they are capable of. It is up to the Bands to determine what they can do well and entering events to match that. This also means that for those bands who have been unable to have full rehearsals, bands can still have everyone engaged and rehearsing by splitting the bands into say a Hymn Band, a Concert Item Band and or a March Band, etc. crossover of players between the various groups entered from the one band is fine.
For Under 13 Divisions (1, 2 and 3), one program totalling 15 minutes of concert items can be submitted.
How will this work:
- Awards will be given for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place in each category for each grade with Trophy and Certificate for each to be issued. There are no points and no placings beyond 3rd place. We feel that this is the fairest way to negate the possibility of differences in video and sound recording qualities, band number sizes, etc.… 2020 will be more about participation, getting us back into Band and playing to our usual high standards.
- There will be no Aggregate Championships awarded and no Champion Band trophies either. Unfortunately with the removal of points and the inability for many bands to be able to enter all components for each grade, an Aggregate Championship just wouldn’t be fair, so, to encourage all of us to be involved in whatever way possible, yet still have a goal and a bit of competition, there will be placings only, no aggregate Champion Bands.
Entries and Key Dates:
- Bands will be required to submit entry forms by Friday, 11th September. Any band that may have registered previously will be required to submit their entry again once the website has been updated.
- ALL video recordings, PDF of the scores as well as any declarations required are due from bands by Friday, 23rd October. The instructions for this will be updated on the website in due course. The recordings will then be sent to the adjudicators for adjudication.
- On 14th and 15th November – The weekend of the festival, the entire event will be Live-Streamed by Tim at Brassbanned.com (for any School Bands who do not authorise the video of their band to be broadcast, only the sound will be streamed). Results announcements for each event will be via both Brassbanned.com and BANSW Facebook and Website.
Following the announcement of results, all adjudication recordings will be emailed to bands along with appropriate certificates. Trophies/plaques are available for delivery/collection, and all performances will be retained for bands to see on the BANSW YouTube Channel.
Like it now so you can easily find: https://www.youtube.com/c/bandassociationofnsw/.
A few things to note:
- For all Band events, adjudications will be Open Adjudications.
- All Band performances (for school bands – subject to permissions) will be retained on our BANSW YouTube channel on or after the event weekends.
The realities of these times have meant some significant changes for us all, but we hope that with the changes we have made, everyone can participate in this year’s event and get back to doing what we all love, and that’s making great music.
In recognition of the current fluid regulatory environments, we recognise that the ability for some bands to be able to come together in the one band room is affected. We know that a number of bands have been looking at more innovative ways of coming together to continue to rehearse. If your band has completed an innovative project such as an online performance, we would like to feature these throughout the State Band Festival.
If you wish to have your project video included, please send the link to firstname.lastname@example.org
BANSW is in the process of appointing our Adjudicators for the 2020 State Band Festival and these will be announced shortly.
General Conditions of Entry
General Conditions of Entry and Participation:
- All current Band Gradings will remain as per existing BANSW or other State Association Gradings.
- All registration requirements remain as per the 2020 Registration requirements of BANSW or appropriate State Association Registration requirements.
- The minimum number of players in a band performing in any video is 16 (Incl. percussion) plus a conductor for ALL bands. The maximum number to be as per the existing By-Laws.
- All Bands must perform their videos in full uniform, and all videos must be completed in one take with no editing.
- With each video submitted, there will be a declaration required to confirm that all those appearing in the video are members of the band as registered with BANSW (or other State Association). Remember, for ALL NSW bands the Membership registration fees for 2020 have been dropped to a flat fee of $125 per band. Registering new members is included in that flat fee for 2020.
- All videos should be recorded and uploaded between the 1st of October and the close-off date of 23rd of October.
- UPDATE: We are removing any condition relating to permit players. All we are asking is for players appearing in the recording to be registered with a band who is a current member of the Association or other State Association. This is one of the barriers that we have removed in order to make it easier for bands to enter.
Gradings and Performance Time Limits
Below is a chart of the expected performance level of bands for each grade. In order to compete, all bands are graded. If you are planning to enter into the Festival for the first time and are unsure of which grade your band needs to be, please contact the Secretary for assistance.
Expected grade levels:
|Open A Grade Brass and Concert||Music Grade: 5+|
|Open B Grade Brass and Concert||Music Grade: 4+|
|Open C Grade Brass and Concert||Music Grade: 3+|
|Open D Grade Concert||Music Grade 1.5+|
|Open D Grade Brass||Music Grade: 1.5+|
|Junior A Grade Brass and Concert||Music Grade: 4.5+|
|Junior B Grade Brass and Concert||Music Grade: 3.5+|
|Junior C Grade Brass||Music Grade: 1.5+|
|Junior C Grade Concert||Music Grade: 2.5+|
|Junior D Grade Concert||Music Grade: 1.5+|
|Primary School Bands Division 1:||Music Grade 3+|
|Primary School Bands Division 2:||Music Grade 2+|
|Primary School Bands Division 3:||Music Grade 1+|
|Program Times are:||Not more than:|
|Sacred Item:||6 minutes|
|Concert Item:||6 minutes|
|Own Choice Program:||not more than 18 minutes|
|March Item:||as per NBCA listing|
A Concert Item is clarified as any piece that is seen to be an 'entertainment' item that a band would use in a concert or playout setting.
Submission of Entry and Paying Entry Fees
!! ENTRIES HAVE NOW CLOSED !!
A band can register their entry by completing the form below by the closing date of September 11, 2020. We will confirm receipt of your entry shortly thereafter. The entry form has been set up to allow you to make payment online or request an invoice.
Each band is required to select the grade that they are competing in as well as the individual events. If a band is competing in more than one grade, an additional lodgement of the form is required for each grade entered.
Your recordings and scores are required to be submitted to us no later than October 23, 2020. The upload area to complete this will be in the next tab below. All scores should have the bars numbered.
The entry fees:
$50 per entry (incl. GST). - i.e., if a band enters only the Sacred Item, then its $50, Sacred Item plus March, then $100, Sacred Item, March and Own Choice - $150 and All 4 - $200.
Under 13 Division groups, a flat fee of $50 per entry will apply regardless of the number of pieces performed.
Online Entry Form
!! ENTRIES HAVE NOW CLOSED !!
Please arrange payment of your entry fees by visiting our Shop
Should payment not be received within a 48 hour period, an invoice will be issued to the band.
Uploading Your Video and Music
Timetable of Events
The 2020 program order will be made available prior to the Festival.
Sponsorship and Advertising
Sponsorships and Trade Stands are very important to us and we would like to thank Besson Buffet Crampon and the Penrith City Council for their continued sponsorship of the Championships.
Besson has been a long-term supporter of the State Band Championships and their instruments are available through Sax and Woodwind…and Brass. We encourage you to check out their trade stand or visit their showroom in Camperdown.
Penrith City Council is a new, proud supporter of the NSW State Band Championships providing financial and marketing assistance to the Association. We are pleased that the Council recognises this important event and we look forward to working with them into the future.
If you are an advertiser wanting to be included in our festival program either by way of online advertising, or an article or advert in the program, please contact Fiona Day who will be able to assist you with more information and costings.
Please if you have any questions on the above, don’t hesitate to ask us using the contact form below.