McCaskill Music Centre is at G8
State Solo & Party Championships
** Our State Solos Championships is going to move online for 2020 **
** Same Solo Sections BUT all are now OWN CHOICE **
** Unfortunately, NO party/ensemble events for 2020 **
Go to our new contest page at State Solo Championships Online 2020
The State Solo & Party Championships is one of two major events hosted by BANSW.
Registered members of the Association are offered a choice of events that they can enter depending on age range. All events, except for Open Brass events, are own choice, however, there may be some years when we may elect to set test selections for more events than Open Brass. Test selections are usually released in February each year.
Individual solo instrument winners in the open grades will be invited to compete in the Open Brass and Concert Champion of Champions events which will be held separately at the State Band Championships in August.
In 2020, the State Solo and Party Championships will be held at The McCaskill Music Centre, Barker College in Hornsby, just a short walk from Waitara railway station on the weekend of 27th/28th June. The closest school entrance to the McCaskill Music Centre is on The Avenue off Unwin Road.
Band members wishing to enter the Championships should notify their band secretary before the closing date. The band secretary is required to lodge all entries and arrange payment of entry fees. Entries will be accepted from 1st March 2020 and will close 1st May 2020.
The entry form and instructions on how to complete the form are found in the ‘Submitting Your Entry’ section of this page.
Before submitting an entry, both the member and the band secretary should review all information here to ensure that all parties are aware of the terms and condition of entry.
If you have any questions concerning the State Solo & Party Championships please contact our Contest Coordinator by email or send us a question using the contact form below.
Event Schedule and Time Limits
Here is the 2020 Solos and Ensembles Event Listing with time limits a registered member can enter.
All events, with the exception of all Open Brass Solo Events, are own choice.
Competitors should make note of the time limits for own choice events as limits are strictly monitored by the room supervisors.
When selecting appropriate music for each grade, the following should be used as a guideline:
- Under 15 (Juvenile) events – AMEB Grade 3 or better
- Under 19 (Junior) events – AMEB Grade 5 or better
- Open events – AMEB Grade 6 or better
We have pleasure in presenting the 2020 NSW Test Piece Selections for the 2020 State Solo and Party Championships.
The test selection list applies to Open Brass solo events only.
Under 19 and Under 15 solo events will be considered ‘Own Choice’.
If in the event a competitor has any issues with ordering music, please ensure to let us know early so that we can follow up.
All Other Solos:
Conditions of Entry
All Perpetual Trophies
- Perpetual trophy holders from the previous year should return their trophy (engraved and in good condition), to the Band Association no later than 6 weeks prior to the Contest unless other arrangements have been confirmed.
- There is to be no photography or video recording of performers during the Championships. An official photographer may be at the venue depending on availability. Photos may only be taken once a performer has finished or at the time of results.
- The Championships will be run in accordance with the Constitution and By-Laws of the Band Association of NSW Inc., in particular By-Law 24, and the rules and conditions set out below or made by the Contest Committee during the Championships. You can view the Constitution and By-Laws
- The Championships will be under the control of the appointed Contest Supervisor.
- A Room Supervisor will be appointed to each room that will be responsible for ensuring contests rules are observed.
- Entrants must be a currently registered member of either the Band Association of NSW Inc, an Australian State Association, or a National Association where an entrant is a resident outside Australia.
- If an entrant turns 15 or 19 on the weekend of the contest then they will need to go up a grade. An Under 15 player may enter an Under 15 (Juvenile) and/or Under 19 (Junior) solo event. An Under 15 player may enter an Open solo event only if they have previously won a State Championship solo event. An Under 19 player may enter an Under 19 and/or Open solo event.
- It is a condition of entry that a player must wear the uniform of the band with which the player is registered.
- A player may be disqualified if he/she is not wearing the correct uniform.
- Trophy events have restricted entry criteria as follows:
Stewart Douglass Trophy: Slow Melody solo event for Under 15 players of any instrument.
Dora Simm Trophy: Jazz/Popular Music solo event for Under 15 players of any instrument.
Paul Cerezo Trophy: Slow Melody solo event for Under 19 players of any instrument.
Hansen Trophy: Jazz/Popular Music solo event for Under 19 players of any instrument.
Lisa Butcher Memorial Award: Jazz/Popular Music solo event for Open players of any instrument.
Presidents Shield: Slow Melody solo event for Open players of any instrument.
Slow Melody Guidelines
- A composition that is purely melodic. No variations or cadenzas, or florid sections e.g continual bars of semiquavers. Tempo generally will not exceed 80 crotchets per minute.
Jazz/Popular Music Guidelines
- Any solo taken from a specialist “Jazz Genre” or a “Jazz Standard” solos book which invites the soloist to approach the notated solos with freedom relative to the style/genre. Melodic embellishments and the inclusion of an improvised solo are encouraged as is memorisation of the piece.
- Music selected should be consistent with the expected standards outlined for own choice music.
- Percussionists may enter single or multiple events within each age classification. Entry in two or more different age classifications will be considered as separate entries for each age class.
- Piano Accompaniment is allowed for all Percussion events in line with other individual instrument events. Please note no backing music or singing is allowed as accompaniment or part of the performance for percussion events.
- The percussion adjudicator will be screened unless the adjudicator specifically requests to be unscreened. If this occurs, entrants will be notified
- An official accompanist will be provided for each room. They are not permitted to move from one room to another, nor are they permitted to charge an entrant a fee to accompany them at the contest. Accompanists will charge a rehearsal fee of which will be confirmed by the accompanist at the time of booking. BANSW takes no responsibility for setting rehearsal fees.
- Soloists may use their own accompanist at their own cost but if that accompanist is unavailable at the time the soloist is called on to perform then the official accompanist must be used.
- Copies of music for accompanists must be bound, legible and in good condition. Loose sheet music will not be accepted. If you would like your accompanist music back, please collect it from the accompanist at the completion of your performance.
Draw for Playing Order
- The Management Committee will conduct a draw for each event prior to the contest and this draw will be printed in the contest program. The draw for the Under 15 and Under 19 Champion of Champions events will be completed at the conclusion of all related individual solo events so that entrant numbers can be confirmed.
- In the event that the Contest Supervisor or Contest Administrator is not available, a Room Supervisor may give permission for a player to play out of order. The player will retain the draw number originally allocated in the program.
It is a condition of entry into the contest venue that the Band Association of NSW Inc. and members of the Management Committee, volunteers and any official will not be legally liable for:
- any loss, damage or theft of any instrument or other valuables of any member of the public while attending the Championships, or
- any assault, illness, injury, death or any other circumstance that may arise during travel by any person to and from the contest venue or while in attendance at the Championships.
- The Management Committee reserves the right to refuse admission to any person or persons to the contest venue facilities. An official may request a person to leave a performance room and or the contest venue if their behaviour is considered inappropriate.
- In the event of improper behaviour, illness, injury or death the Management Committee reserves the right to call NSW Police, and or Ambulance to the venue.
- Any official, Volunteer or another person who witnesses, or becomes aware of, any act of bullying, sexual or physical assault must report the occurrence to the Contest Supervisor who will decide appropriate action.
- Children under 18 years of age, who are not accompanied by a parent or family member, must be accompanied by a person holding an approved WWCC and can provide the details for review upon request.
Submitting your entry
Entries to the NSW State Solo and Party Championships for 2020 are now open and will close 1 May.
Band Secretaries should complete their entry using this entry form only. The entry form calculates the fees due and will list the total at the bottom of the spreadsheet. Please make note of how the multi-percussion events are calculated and if assistance is required to confirm whether it has been entered correctly, please contact the Contest Administrator.
- Entries will not be accepted after the closing date.
- Once all entries have been completed, a confirmation of events entered for each band will be sent to band secretaries along with an invoice for the entry fees if requested. It is expected that band secretaries will be responsible for the collection of entry fees due from their members and deposit to directly to the BANSW bank account. Please ensure that all direct deposits have remitting details clearly listed so that it can be identified on the bank statement.
- The Band Association of NSW Inc. or its representatives may decline an entry without giving a reason.
- Entry forms can be submitted using the upload function below:
Event Entry Fees and Audience Tickets
Entry Fees for 2020 will be as follows:
- Solo Events (per event): $35
- Percussion events:
- 1 event - $35
- 2 events within the same grade - $50
- 3 events within the same grade - $65
- 4 events within the same grade - $75
- Trophy Events/Duets/Trios: $35
- Quartets and Small Ensembles: $45
- Large Ensemble: $55
Entry fees can be accepted by Direct Transfer or Cheque. Individual entry fees should be collated by the band secretary and then one transfer or deposit made. If transferring via EFT, please transfer to the following account and also include the band name in the transfer details so that we can clearly identify who the payment is from.
Name: Band Association of NSW
Bank: NAB Miranda
Cheque payments should be mailed to PO Box 550 Jannali NSW 2226, marked for the attention of the Contest Administrator
Refunds will only be issued in exceptional circumstances at the discretion of the Management Committee.
Audience tickets will be available on the day of the Championships only (no pre-sales). Cash preferred. PayPal may be available on the day, pending strength of internet connection.
- Single Day Ticket: $10
- 2 Day Ticket: $15
- Concession Day Ticket: $8
- Concession 2 Day Ticket: $12
- Program: $5
The timetable for the NSW State Solo and Party Championships should be available by the beginning of June. A copy will be placed on our Facebook page as well as being emailed to band secretaries for distribution to their members.
If you have a band member that is entered into multiple events and you believe that there may be a possible clash, please let the Contest Administrator know so that it can be reviewed.
Individual competitor times are not released and it is the responsibility of the competitor to monitor the progress of the rooms in which their event/s are being held.
Registration for an event should be completed no later than 30 mins prior to the start of the event. All music for the adjudicator must be numbered. Please do not provide loose copies of accompanist music.
As a reminder, full band uniform must be worn by the competitor.
Adjudicators and Accompanists
We have great pleasure in announcing the adjudicators and accompanists for 2020.
TBA for 2020
TBA for 2020
The full timetable will be released by the beginning of June. Look out for our Facebook posts giving more details about our Adjudicators for 2020!
Music stands will be supplied and warm-up rooms will be available.
A grand piano will be available in all rooms where possible. If unavailable, there should be at a minimum an upright available.
For Percussion events, the following will be supplied:
- Drum Kit
- Concert Snare Drum
- Xylophone/Glockenspiel/Vibraphone/5 Octave Marimba
Registering on the day
On the day, all competitors must register for each event in which they have entered at least thirty minutes before their event is due to commence.
For own choice events, adjudicator copies of music, with bars numbered, must be handed into the Room Registrar at the time of registration. Adjudicator music MUST NOT contain any distinguishing marks that may identify the competitor or the band they represent.
- Photocopies of music will be destroyed at the conclusion of the Championships. Original music provided to the Adjudicator can be collected from the Contest Office at the conclusion of each event once the results have been announced.
- For winners of solo events, music will be returned to the competitor only if they are going to register for Champion of Champions events using the same selection.
Adjudication recordings will be issued as online MP3 files. Each entrant will be given a slip with a link address to their recording by the Room Supervisor at the beginning of the performance. The recording will be made available within a few hours of event results being announced. If an entrant does not receive their slip at the time of performance, please speak with the room supervisor.
Champion of Champions Events
Winners of individual solo events in all grades are automatically invited to compete in the Champion of Champions events and will be presented with their invitation at the time of results of their section. If competing, the invitee should notify the Room Registrar where the Champion of Champions event is being held of their intentions and provide their music. If an invitee will compete using the same piece that they played in the solo event, they will need to collect their music from the Contest Office to give to the Room Registrar.
The Open Champion of Champion event for both Brass and Concert will be contested at the State Band Championships in August on Saturday evening in the Malcolm Borland Foyer. The event will be live-streamed by Brassbanned.com.
Under 15 and Under 19 Champion of Champion events for both Brass and Concert will be contested on the Solos weekend. The draws for each Champion of Champion events will be conducted at the conclusion of the solo events that make up each Champion of Champion event.
Volunteering is crucial in our community in being able to run a successful Championships. Without people volunteering their time and skills, we simply wouldn’t be able to hold these events to the high degree that our members have come to expect.
We have a range of positions available of which the job descriptions are listed below:
Catering - morning/afternoon tea for volunteers and officials
If you have some free time over the weekend, why not come along and help us out. All it will take is to complete the interest form below.
At the conclusion of both the Under 15 and Under 19 percussion events, a masterclass will be held by the Adjudicator. Depending on interest, we will hold an open percussion workshop that will be extended to non-competitors. Look out for more information regarding this being sent to bands.
Solo Contest Results
State Solo Contest Results
- 1996 State Solos
- 1997 State Solos
- 1998 State Solos
- 1999 State Solos
- 2000 State Solos
- 2001 State Solos
- 2002 State Solos
- 2003 State Solos
- 2004 State Solos
- 2005 State Solos
- 2006 State Solos
- 2007 State Solos
- 2008 State Solos
- 2009 State Solos
- 2010 State Solos
- 2011 State Solos
- 2012 State Solos
- 2013 State Solos
- 2014 State Solos
- 2015 State Solos
- 2016 State Solos
- 2017 State Solos
- 2018 State Solos
- 2019 State Solos